Come to the Library to get a card
Anyone who lives, works, attends school, or owns property in Hampstead may apply for a free library card at the front desk. Children may get their own card, with their parent's permission, as soon as they can write their first and last name.
Proof of residency/employment and a registration card (signed by a parent or guardian if the applicant is 4th grade or below) are required.
Non-residents may have a library card for an annual fee of $30.
Please bring your library card with you when you come to the library. It makes the check out procedure so much faster and more accurate.
2 weeks- Adult and Children’s books, magazines, books on CD, music CDs, non-fiction DVDs and DVD Television shows.
1 week- DVD feature films
Other Technology we loan out have special circulation periods. Please see the librarian when checking out these items.
Use your PIN to renew borrowed items, online - You can set up a PIN when you come in to the library, so you can access your account wherever you have access to the internet. A Librarian at the Main Desk can help you set one up.
Adult books and DVDs still considered "New" may not be renewed. Most other items may be renewed twice for a total of 6 weeks, if no other patron has reserved it.
The overdue charge for most items is $0.10 per day, maximum of $5.00 per item
DVDs have an overdue fine of $1.00 per day, maximum of $5.00 per item.
Other Technology we loan out (CD player, telescope, projectors) have special overdue policies. Please see the librarian when checking out these items.
When items become about 1 week overdue, an email will be sent to remind you that library materials are overdue. If items are overdue for more than that, letters may be sent to you, indicating the fines to be paid.
Whenever you have items overdue and you're not sure how to proceed, please call us, since we want to work it out with you.
Reserves and Holds
Holds may be placed on any circulating item regardless of its availability status.
To place a hold on an item with a catalog status of Checked In:
- Call the library during open hours and someone will retrieve the item and place it on hold for you. This is the best option if you would like the item immediately
- Use the online catalog at the library or log on from home. Please be aware that there may be a delay in the item becoming available to you as there is a chance the item may be checked out by another patron before it can be pulled from the shelf. You will be notified by phone or email when it is available.
- See any staff member at the circulation or reference desk while you're at the library
- Call the library during open hours and someone will place your name on its hold list. You will be notified by phone or email when it becomes available for you.
- Use the online catalog at either the library or log on from home and follow the instructions. You will be notified when the item is available for you.
To Place a hold on a Future Release item:
- Click on Search Books/Movies or My Account at the top of the Hampstead Public Library home page
- Log in to your account through our catalog, using your card number and PIN.
- Click on the "VISUAL SEARCH" tab. Click on the new search category of "FUTURE RELEASES".
- Find a book you are interested in reserving and click on the title
- Click on the Reserve button on the right hand side of the screen and follow screen prompts.
- Click OK to confirm you want to reserve.
- We call you when it's your turn!
The library belongs to NHAIS (New Hampshire Automated Information System), the library system for the state of New Hampshire which provides the residents of New Hampshire rapid access to library and informational resources through a coordinated statewide information network.
Materials not owned by the library may often be borrowed from other libraries in New Hampshire. Check the NHU-PAC catalog of items available through Interlibrary loan.
Interlibrary loan items may be requested at the circulation desk by residents of Hampstead holding a valid library card.
WiFi and Internet Access
Nine (9) workstations with Internet access are available for use in the library. The catalog is accessible on four additional workstations around the library. All computers are set up to print color and black-and-white.
WiFi (Wireless Internet Access)
WiFi is available at the Hampstead Public Library. For those who need electricity for their wireless laptops, outlets in either study room or the meeting rooms on the second floor are available. There are no outlets available in the stack areas. The strength of the wireless signal will vary depending on the number of wireless devices in use at the time and the distance from the access point.